Why I couldn't drink at the winery tour...

Jun 24 2009 Published by under Uncategorized

So, about 9 weeks ago, my husband and I saw this:

At that point, even though that second pink line on the one test was pretty faint, our N of 2 was positive even though I was only at about 5 weeks along. Subsequent replicates later in the week were even more conclusive. So, now we are at a total of 14 weeks and so far so good. I have felt pretty crappy for some of the last two months, but am starting to feel a lot better. My lab is all excited and ready to pitch in for the team effort to make this work. I just told my department head today and he was very happy for me and supportive and thinks there's no doubt I'll be able to keep it together. My institution has lots of nice policies in place to make this easier for me to manage, including a one-year turning off of the tenure clock for every time it happens (whether you're the dad or the mom).

My official due date is Christmas day. I'm spending this summer and fall getting my lab all trained in and relatively independent (they are showing great signs of this already), getting a few manuscripts submitted and applying for an NSF CAREER award and an R01. Oh, and I'll be teaching my 2nd time around while ~7-9 months pregnant. LOL. I wonder what kinds of evaluation comments I'll get this year.

So, here we go! Now I'll have yet another aspect of young woman PI-hood to blog about. Let's hope I can make it work!

• Cath@VWXYNot? says:

Congratulations! Happy times!And it sounds like you're setting everything up to go very smoothly. Nice work!

• Nat Blair says:

Congratulations.Kids are a hoot, and tons of fun!I like that the tenure clock stops whether it's a mom or a dad. YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY.Oh yeah, pregnant Rock Band pictures are definitely in order. 🙂

• ScientistMother says:

OMG!!!!! Congratulations! Monkey was due on New Years Day but didn't come until a week later. I guess that means either a christmas or new years baby. yippee! Super happy for you!

• Nat Blair says:

I've come to the conclusion that due dates are so meaningless (hey, we're talking N=2 here people). We had IVF, so we knew exactly when conception and when embryo transfer occurred. Yet every time we switched from the IVF docs to the OBs, the due date changed, even by a week. Still, it didn't matter for the second. She was due Jan 8. We were kinda hoping for a Dec delivery, for the tax purposes. She came Nov 29th.

• Amanda@Lady Scientist says:

Congratulations!! That's so exciting. Guess, it's worth giving up wine at the winery tour 🙂

Thanks everybody!I actually am drinking up to 1-2 glasses of red wine a week, I read about a study in the Lancet that said it was good for the smartness of your children. But unfortunately I had already drunk up my allocation for the week by the time the tour rolled around! Oh well, next time.

• Becca says:

1) Congratulations!!!2) ohhh can I get a link to that study?

• Prof-like Substance says:

Congrats Arlenna, enjoy the ride. That's great that your institution has a year "off" policy, that seems to be rare. Good luck and let us know how it all goes.

Becca: this is why you shouldn't believe science your read in pregnancy magazines or in blogs--I can't find hide nor hair of this study that was described in a column I read in a magazine about being pregnant at my car dealership. I'm looking, if I find it I'll let you know! There are other examples that at least seem to show it's not harmful, but I can't find the primaries of those either, just the columns where people talk about them...

Here we go Becca, so the magazine lied about it being in the Lancet, it was conducted in Britain though: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18974425

• Ambivalent Academic says:

Yay!!!! Congratulations!And if your kid is born on Christmas, remember to wrap some presents in non-Christmas paper."You get to share your birthday with baby Jesus!" just isn't as good as it supposed to be.

• Professor in Training says:

Woo hoo - congrats! And that's so great to hear that your school has policies for moms and dads.

w00t!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome, Excellent, a speedy end to the 'morning' sickness- and Congrats!

• Odyssey says:

Congrats!!!!!!!

• Ewan says:

Now you get to join the exclusive 'gaining tenure *and* having kids' club :-). Woohoo![And yeah, I would have liked the option to adjust tenure for my now 8month-old, even if I might have chosen not to..]

• EcoGeoFemme says:

Congratulations!

• EthidiumBromide says:

Congratulations to you and your husband! How exciting. 🙂

• Drugmonkey says:

Wonderful!

• Juniper Shoemaker says:

NO WAI!!!111!!!!!:)I'm not supposed to be blogging. But: CONGRATULATIONS! That is all.

• Nat Blair says:

...I would have liked the option to adjust tenure for my now 8month-old, even if I might have chosen not to..]@Arlenna, is the tenure clock stoppage mandatory or can you elect not to take it?@Ewan, do you think the ability to choose not to take the tenure clock stoppage adversely affects those who do take it? And might this fall disproportionately on female professors rather than men? (If this unduly derails the post, with its super happy news, lemme know; we can discuss it elsewhere.)

Thanks again to all the rest who stopped by!Nat: It's optional--they don't force you to wait an extra year if you somehow manage to publish 5 extra C/N/S papers and get 3 more R01s during that baby year. Of course I'm SO SURE that will happen for me!

• Nat Blair says:

Hopefully it will happen to you! But what about someone more on the fence come tenure review? Do they expect a person who had the year clock stoppage to have an output equal to a person who didn't? Or do they expect maybe a little more output? By the by, can anyone point me to the "Post Doc Productivity Stoppage"? Cause I sure coulda used that after our first one. 🙂

They expect the clock-stopped people to have the same productivity they expect from others who have not had it. It's considered a way to make sure you can keep up, rather than a way to expect even more out of you.

• Nat Blair says:

Cool, that's great then!

• Mad Hatter says:

Wow...that's fantastic! Congratulations!!!

• DamnGoodTechnician says:

Congrats congrats congrats! Very exciting.. and not entirely a surprise after that winery tour post.. 🙂

• Anonymous says:

Wow! Congrats lady! Your posts have been inspiring and I'm glad that your chair and lab is supportive. Best of luck to you and the hubby (:Chi-chi

Hey, congratulations! Great news. I know you'll be great. 🙂

• ~profgrrrrl~ says:

Congratulations!

• Anonymous says:

Ooooooh! COngrats!FWIW, I showed up at my new TT job pregnant. My dept was awesome and supportive, and my students were really understanding about the pregnancy thing in my evals (we need good evals for tenure here). To try to ensure this, I made sure to answer all emails within 24 hours, protected my office hour days from doc appointments (unless absolutely necessary) and I told them when I might need to reschedule well in advance. My students all commented about how accessible I was, so it worked.Make your final early and give a copy with a key to a colleague just in case. And have your lectures done well in advance--your colleagues will thank you if they need it. My first came 3 weeks before my due date (which is still considered full term).