My first invited seminar!

Dec 30 2008 Published by under Uncategorized

It's pretty darn exciting--I've been invited to give a seminar at a SLAC with a strong chemistry program, by somebody I don't even know yet! I'm really looking forward to it--my undergrad degree is from a really similar institution and I value that kind of education. They've encouraged me to bring recruitment materials, which I will definitely be doing. Describing my work to undergraduates and connecting it to relevant things they have been learning is one of my favorite types of communication, so it will really be a fun talk to give.

I did a little happy dance when I got the email. Hopefully it means my lab webpage is working its magic, if people have taken a look at what we're doing and have been getting interested!

Yay!

• Nat Blair says:

Wow, you were cold emailed for an invite to speak. That's awesome. You are on people's radar, and in a good way.Go knock their assorted footwear off (be they covered by a mixture of Naughty Monkeys, Birkenstocks, or no shoes whatsoever - sheesh, people are gonna think that a good chunk of the science blogosphere is filled with foot fetishists).

• Odyssey says:

Congrats!!!!

• Prof-like Substance says:

That's great, sounds like you're getting noticed. I always find those undergrad-only talks tough, but it sounds like this one is right up your alley. Have fun.

• Isis the Scientist says:

Congrats, Arlenna! Sounds like it will be a blast!

w00t!My guess is that it's more likely to be your publication record or a conference presentation than your lab Web page that initially led to the invite. Let us know what led to the invite.

Congrats, that's great! Hope you have a good time. 🙂

• Massimo (formerly known as Okham) says:

Way to go ! You better get used to it, I am sure many will follow. As for what led to it: I would say that in most cases it's just what PP has said -- that's how it happens most of the time.In some cases, seminar organizers actively look for the "new kid on the block", just not to invite again someone who has visited recently, and therefore your web page may have played a role (if you want to find out, as usual sitemeter is your friend).And I have heard that in other cases department chairs send out letters to other departments, informing them of their new hire and suggesting that the person be invited to give a seminar just to make herself known.But look, why not abide by Ockham's razor principle (note the correct spelling) and just go with the most obvious explanation -- that you have done good work and that people have noticed it ?

Thanks all! 🙂 The reason I thought it might be webpage related is that in the invite he used the terminology I use on that page to describe my research--and I haven't published enough in this area or presented significantly at any conferences on this stuff for anyone to know my propaganda yet from anywhere besides there. But I'll ask for sure, and let you all know what it was!