GRANT IS DONE!

Oct 14 2008 Published by under Uncategorized

I sent all my parts to my grants administrator, and she's getting it all put together to go through our internal process before submission by the sponsored programs office on Thursday. Yay!

It's just a little R21, but it has inspired the beginning of a mutually agreeable, constructive collaboration with another professor in my department and helped focus the plans of the grad student who is looking to join my lab after trying things out this fall. I'm really proud of how it went from being an outlined idea of hers into something that fits very well into the development of my research program and takes suitably small, feasible steps while retaining some pretty fancy-pants innovation. We even had a little bit of preliminary data that came from our first few experiments here over the last couple of weeks.

First one from new lab! Since the K99 doesn't really count as "new lab." I have to say, I truly enjoy the grant writing process even with all the technical frustrations and the hassle of fitting in the time to work on it with everything else. It's definitely the kind of stress and focus that gets me fired up to kick ass. I think I'm in the right job.

• Anonymous says:

awesome! congrats!Are you in the K99 phase of the award as a tenure track faculty? I was going to try to do that, but program told me emphatically : NO!

I hate you (just kidding). I'm not done yet...Congratulations!!!

Anon--Well, see, it's kind of complicated. I sort of am, but only because I started here in between being awarded the K99 by the council and the paperwork churning process. So, I already had the score that got me awarded BEFORE I interviewed for and accepted the the position. The program officer agreed that it would have been pretty unfair to deem me ineligible purely on the basis of the slowness of the NIH gears, so they allowed me to transfer the K99 portion to my new institution and grandfather me in as eligible. I have to have a mentor here, and I still am on the mentored phase budget etc for now, and I need to transition to the R00 portion just like anybody else. But I was extremely relieved that they made this exception for me, and I have heard rumors that I am not the only one--however, they are hard and fast about the fact that you CANNOT already have accepted a position before you SUBMIT the application. And it's really unfair to the purpose of the grant to even be interviewing before you apply for it. I had been applying for it for two years before I got it, and my A1 application is almost identical to my A2 (so I was pretty clearly one of those "put in a holding pattern until next revision" apps), so they saw the logic in still allowing me to have the award and not forcing me to put my life on hold (when I was already a 5th year postdoc) in order to get it.

• pinus says:

That is awesome that program worked that out with you. I was kind of surprised how absolutely rigid they were with me about the K phase. I wonder if there will be a way to transfer over some part of it...hmmm thanks for making me think!BTWthat was me, I clicked on the wrong ID thingy.pinus

Well, and I think they really don't want to do it because it makes everything very complicated for them and gets blurry as far as the original outline and goals of the award. But I was in the NCI, and they were willing to work it out with me. They recognized this catch 22 we end up in: we can't bank on the award coming through even WITH a good score, and we need to move on with our lives if we find a good TT position. That's why I think they should change some of the details surrounding the requirements for the mentored phase, allowing past NRSA work to count towards it if you're a very senior post doc and need to transition earlier than desired.I probably will not ask to keep both years unless it seems like I really need to continue to be mentored, my plan is to transition within the next year so I can try to hand back some of the mentored phase money and pay back into the system.

• Cath@VWXYNot? says:

Congrats and good luck!

You too Cath! Here's hoping yours and drdrA's all work out smoothly too!