Ahh, what a good idea. I was completely stressed out about an impending deadline or three, arriving back last night from being at the NIH for a mini-conference last week with a blinding pregnancy headache, in other words totally dysfunctional. It's amazing how productive a day at home can be. Tasks accomplished:
- Dog picked up from boarding!
- Internal pre-proposal deadline met, including finishing project description and designing informal budget!
- Laundry completely taken care of!
- Clean dishes put away and dirty dishes put in dishwasher!
- Appropriate amount of calories and units of calcium/protein-containing foods consumed!
By saving myself the three hours I spend in the car every day on my commute, and the distractions of having an office right in my lab where everything and everyone catch my attention away from the work I'm supposed to be doing, I was able to actually get that work done. It is really nice to do this once in a while.
Now I need to use some of my husband-free evening to lay out my fall calendar with the other deadlines coming up, including:
- two manuscript submissions
- up to four proposal submissions
- redesign of my lecture content for teaching beginning in two weeks
- instituting a weekly journal club for my lab to start ASAP (they need it, not least for preparation for their cume exams, last two chances to pass occur over the next two months)
- getting my lab ready for me to be gone for 2-3 months
- getting myself and my house ready for having a freaking baby
It's gonna be one of those semesters!!! Jeebus.